Thursday, December 4, 2008

I hope I'm a threat

I know that many of you are not avid readers, excepting the obvious blog reading...lol. But I LOVE the Harry Potter series. I know that other Christians condemn the books; but there are so many truths in there, and Paul said that whatever truth there was in the world, that truth is ours. Harry Potter is ultimately about good overcoming evil against all odds. That there is more going on in the world than you see at first glance. A short explanation for what I want to talk about: Harry Potter is a teen-age boy who stands in the way of the evil Lord Voldemort who is attempting to become immortal; his greatest fear is death and so he has and is attempting to overcome it. It is prophesied that Harry Potter is THE ONLY ONE who can rid the world of Voldemort and his followers. (WHY he is THE ONE is interesting and another point entirely) Voldemort vanished the night he attempted to kill Harry as a baby. Anyway, maybe I haven't explained this well enough, but as a Christian, when you read these books there is an OBVIOUS allusion to Christ and Satan. That there are two sides fighting, and there is a choice that everyone has to make as to where their allegiance lies (Harry or Voldemort). At this point in the story (that I'm quoting below) Voldemort is still in hiding; working his plans out by stealth at the moment. Very few people believe Harry that Lord Voldemort is back. They remember what it was like the last time he was in power; chaos, deaths, etc. The world they understand is nice, neat, under control and Voldemort-free. Voldemort being back (existing) would shake up their entire world, so most people are in denial. Harry is trying to convince people that Voldemort is back, but society sees him as a lunatic. The following is taken from "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix":


Luna Lovegood
: [about her father] We believe you, by the way. That He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (Voldemort) is back, and you fought him, and the Ministry and the Prophet are conspiring against you and Dumbledore.
Harry Potter: Thanks. Seems you're about the only ones that do.
Luna Lovegood: I don't think that's true. But I suppose that's how he wants you to feel.
Harry Potter: What do you mean?
Luna Lovegood: Well if I were You-Know-Who, I'd want you to feel cut off from everyone else. Because if it's just you alone you're not as much of a threat.


I think that's how Satan wants us to feel. When we're going against the "norm" to serve God with our lives...he wants us to feel like we're crazy and alone in the fight. I've felt like this many, many times over the years. Especially lately. But there is a war going on, even if we can't see it with our eyes. There is a spiritual war going on for people's eternity. We fight for spiritual significance, but Satan wants us to give up and just "go along with the flow" in life. No matter what battle or fight you are in right now, remember, you are not alone.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

good stuff. I haven't read Harry Potter and that made perfect sense to me. Probably because I understand spiritual warfare all too well. You are wonderful and I love your thoughts. Also, I forgot all about that first song on your playlist by Chris Rice! I found the sheet music and I'm going to try to play and sing it at church pretty soon. Love you!