Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 In Review

What was new to you in 2013?
Homeschooling!!  We started after Spring Break last year and have continued this year as well.  Adopting through CPS- I have learned so much about the character of my God and how to work with people who believe so very differently than us.


 What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
Obviously ALL of my children living in one house.  And...More SPACE!!!  Hopefully all our children will be living in one house soon, but I have no idea where everything will go!  We live pretty simply, so I don't know how much more we can "down size" stuff.


What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Teaching my children; teaching Hannah to read, both how to do chores, tie shoes, find information and definition of words, how to live-really live life God's way.


 What was your biggest failure? 
Not saying "yes" to my kids more.  We all could use more yes-es in our lives.


What was the best thing you read?
The Voice Bible; I love this translation!!  Also; "Follow Me" "Not a Fan" and "Gods at War."  (Please read those books!  Ruin your life!!)  I also read "Family Driven Faith" by Voddie Baucham. And of course; many, many wonderful blogs about adopting, homeschooling, etc.  


What did you lose and gain?
I am experimenting with being a vegetarian, starting back in September, I believe.  I have lost 13 lbs and love how I feel.  I still struggle with eating "junk food" and not knowing whether the key is moderation or just not keeping it in the house.  I hope to "gain" some understanding about this in the next year!  ;)  I have "lost" a few friends…just distance and we all change; so some friendships aren't what they used to be. I have also maintained friendships from over the years, living more centralized now makes that easier to see each other more often….like my Ginger Berry!  Or Sarah Stapleton.  Or Jenni.  Or Annie. (or family in general…LOVE that!!!)  But I have also gained some wonderful amazing close friends:  Cassie Rappolee has been a God-send to me.  She has taught me so much and is such an encouragement for me to be who God created me to be and to grow.  I could not have had such a wonderful year without her (and her family!)  
I have lost some relationships with extended family members this year, but I have also gained new insight into the past and how to forgive.


What do you wish you'd done more of?
Had more adventures.  Said "yes" more.  Gone outside, even when it wasn't perfect or convenient.  Visiting friends and family.  Seeing gifts.  Being the Gift to others.

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Facebook.  Worrying about friends who don't make the same effort to maintain friendships.  Complaining.  


What was on repeat on iTunes this year?
Anything by Rend Collective...  Or King's Kaleidoscope.


 What was your favorite film of this year?
Disney's Frozen!!!  I cried so much and loved it!!!  I can't wait to own it!!

Favorite place you went this year?
New Mexico with my awesome family!!  Mountains and hiking were the best!!  Also, we went to Matagorda beach with our awesome friends, the Nelsons!!  Definitely amazing memories!

 What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 33 years old and my family threw me a Doctor Who party!!!!  It was awesome!  Tardises everywhere…baby Adiposes…veggie pizza…my siblings, cousins, Teta, sister-in-law and parents filled me with laughter for hours, and I felt so loved!!!

Who was the best new person you met?
I didn't actually meet her this year, but I have gotten to know Cassie Rappolee so much better…and I am the better for it!  Dore Nelson has definitely helped shape me this year; teaching me so much and helping me see the gift in our life in Centerville.  And I obviously haven't just met my sisters, but I love how much time we've been able to spend together; Carolyn, Jo and Steph.

What did you have to say good-bye to?
Unforgiveness of certain people who hurt me when I was a child.  The grandmother I will probably never have.  Job possibilities.  Bitterness.  Meeting the world's expectations and standards.

Quote or song lyric that sums up your year:
May I be broken bread, may I be poured out wine
May I incarnate, Your kindness Lord

Spend my life Jesus, anyway You please
Whether on great things, or what seems small

Your will done your way
Your will done your way
Your will done your way

I will not fight You
Take me past the line that my heart draws
I will not fight You
Take me beyond the laziness of my thoughts
I will not fight 
Lead me further than I've gone before
I will not fight You
I'm abandoned to Your call

Do not let there be, any part of me
That’s untouchable, unreachable

Let my delight be, living out Your dreams
Washing dirty feet, and kissing yours

God let Your dreams come true, dream through us
God let Your dreams come true through us

No comments: