Thursday, September 16, 2010

"I'm Grieving as Fast as I Can!"

"Is there anything I can do?

Yes, you can turn back time, take away the hurt, and bring my loved one back.
And if that isn't possible, just be on my side while I face the demons."


We all go through times of mourning. I have never lost a parent, sibling or child so I am unfamiliar with that specific kind of grief. But I HAVE had to mourn losing several non-Christian family members, the death of the marriage I thought I had, the dream of having more children and other similar situations. In no way am I comparing the loss of a child to the loss of a dream of child...but my point is that because we have all had to mourn; I pray we all learn 2 things:

1- How to mourn. We do not naturally know how to mourn. We know how to feel grief, but that is not the same thing as mourning.

2- How to help others mourn. Mourning requires solitude at times, but it also requires community. David was, much to his credit, a master at mourning. See 2 Samuel starting in Chapter 1. David personally mourns and then commands his army to mourn. (And this was for David's enemy!!)

I am no master at mourning. But the Jesus in me cries when my friends are crying and hurts when my friends are hurting...I think it's supposed to be that way. And it's ok to take whatever time you need to heal from your loss...be it a child or a divorce. Make sure your friends know this.

No comments: