Sunday, January 4, 2009

How to prepare?

In my quiet time lately I've been finishing up reading in Proverbs. The following is in Proverb 24:27. I've been thinking (or "meditating") on this for awhile and still haven't figured out it's specific application to me at this time yet.

Finish your outdoor work
and get your fields ready;
after that, build your house

Now,I get the obvious understanding of being prepared FIRST and THEN worrying about a house. (Which is hard for me because I REALLY, REALLY want a place of our own right now.) But for me, I don't know anything about anything right now. I don't know when we'll get a job or what it will be or where it will be. So all of that is blank and blurry to me, so I just want to dream about a house. And I know it has to be in the reverse order; but what preparing can I really be doing right now?

What "outdoor work" and "fields" do I have to prepare right now? That's the real question I want to figure out. I feel like God is trying to show me something through this verse and haven't figured it out yet. I'd appreciate your prayers for me to figure this out, and if you have any understanding about this; please leave comments!!

1 comment:

Taylor said...

This was sort of an idea expressed in Facing the Giants. That we should prepare the field and God will send the rain to nourish it.

My favorite verse that deals with this... what I have tried to memorize and pray as I went through treatment comes from Psalms.

"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him." Psalm 126:5-6

To me, it says, that God will use the hard times... the times that brought only tears, yet what we have still used for His glory and will turn into a harvest... however that looks like to Him. I LOVE this verse.