Saturday, March 9, 2013

Piling Stones


 After the whole nation had gone across the Jordan River, the Lord spoke to Joshua. He said, “Choose 12 men from among the people. Choose one from each tribe.  Tell them to get 12 stones from the middle of the river. They must pick them up from right where the priests stood. They must carry the stones over with all of you. And they must put them down at the place where you will stay tonight.”
 So Joshua called together the 12 men he had appointed from among the people of Israel. There was one man from each tribe.  He said to them, “Go back to the middle of the Jordan River. Go to where the ark of the Lord your God is. Each one of you must pick up a stone. You must carry it on your shoulder. There will be as many stones as there are tribes in Israel.

 “The stones will serve as a reminder to you. In days to come, your children will ask you, ‘What do these stones mean?’ 
 Tell them that theLord cut off the flow of water in the Jordan River. 
Tell them its water stopped flowing when the ark of the covenant of the Lord went across. 
The stones will always remind the Israelites of what happened there.”  
Joshua 4:1-7


This is my 100th post.  I started this blog almost 5 years ago, having no idea what I would write about, having no idea if anyone would ever want to read my words.  I write about nonsense, I share my hurts and opinions here.  And a few people read these words.  And that's ok...I have no desire to become a professional blogger.  I simply wanted to give my fragile thoughts a home, with the hope that someone else out there might be encouraged by them...that someone else might someday read something and no longer feel alone.  

A 100th post seems somehow significant to me...and the timing of this seems important to me as well.  Daniel and I have made a decision to do something that is going to change our lives.  We thought it would lead us to act next year, but after much prayer believe that God may be asking us to act sooner.  It may seem strange and unimportant to others, but I believe that God has shown us just how much of an impact this decision is going to make.  Like the first 3 dominoes that fall down; they look small and unimpressive...but the reaction they've started can be tremendous!  And that's what this feels like...this decision we're making has potential to change other things in our lives- our viewpoints on a variety of things.  This decision has opened our eyes to more than we anticipated, and the faith that we are walking out on has encouraged our hearts to say, "Well, if we do this then why not do this??"  It has made us consider and examine thoughts and opinions we've had for years, in some cases our whole lives, and hold them up to the Truth we've had revealed to our hearts.

And so, I'm piling stones right now.  I'm going back into the water, to pick up ordinary stones from an unordinary, holy ground...the place where I've once again encountered my God and He did a new thing in my heart.  And I will set them up as a reminder for these days ahead. With each stone, I hear:

"Remember when you felt so alone in the desert, Mary?  You have different values and understanding of family Now."
"I know that it was painful and difficult for you to learn that I AM enough.  But you will need to remember that and hold that close to your heart as you walk where I'm leading you Now."  
"It seemed cruel when I gave you desires and then seemed to rip them from your hands...but I want to give you good gifts, Mary, and you wouldn't have seen this as 'good' until Now."
"Those skills you learned, the priorities you've come to make- these aren't just for you.  You will need to tell your story; Our story.  These are things I want you to share with My other children, and those who aren't yet My children.  To share them with your children.  And those who aren't by flesh and blood your children.  These lessons weren't just for you, they were for My glory. Now."

These stones are heavy to carry- Again.  But this time that I carry them, it is different...I carry them for a different reason.  A much shorter time is spent with them.  And it is nearly pain-free.  It seems like a completely different load.    But it is important to remember.  Amazing what God can do, yes?  

More to come in the days to come.  Until then, my changed heart is a thankful heart:
3 Gifts Found

  • Friends across the creek
  • A 7 year old's additions to my "Gift List" in my room
  • Myself





Image from here

No comments: